Several of my web sites use custom databases. Some of those web sites are gone (on purpose). But the databases were still there.
So I spent a bit of time deleting some unused databases and database users. It’s a security thing: there might be some personal information on some of the databases, and deleting unused data is a ‘good thing’.
Database security is important. Here are a few things to think about:
- Do you have unused databases anywhere?
- Is there public/personal information in the data tables?
- Have you secured the user rights to those databases — not giving full access to a user out of convenience?
- Do you have backup copies of the databases?
- Are databases that contain personal information encrypted?
Any other considerations? Let me know in the comments.